According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 82 people in the United States die every day as the result of unintentional poisoning. Another 1,941 people are treated for severe poisoning in emergency rooms across the country.
Any person of any age is susceptible to accidental poisoning. Taking the following precautions will help to significantly reduce the risk of unintentional poisoning in your home.
Poison Prevention Tips:
• Keep all cleaning supplies, medications, alcohol, and other toxic chemical agents locked away and out of the reach of children.
• When taking any medication, whether it’s prescription of over-the-counter, carefully follow the directions printed on the label. Never take more than the recommended dosage.
• When taking prescription medication, follow your doctor’s orders and take only the prescribed amount.
• Always keep medications in their original, properly marked bottles.
• Never share a prescription medication.
• Never store toxic chemicals in unmarked bottles.
• Wear protective clothing and ensure proper ventilation when using pesticides, cleaning agents and other potentially harmful substances.
• Never leave medications and other toxic materials just sitting out.
• If you feel that a toxic substance of any kind may have been ingested by a child or anyone else, call Poison Control right away at 1-800-222-1222. This poison safety hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If a poisoning victim has collapsed, is unconscious or not breathing, immediately call 911.
For more information on how Devcon can help with poison prevention please call us directly